Thursday 13 August 2015

WHAT WENT WELL ON MY MISSIONARY JOURNEY
                                           
This is one of the wonderful and unique experiences I had when I was doing my mission in the state of Arunachal Pradesh in one of the most interior areas. Christian missionary activities were not allowed in Arunachal Pradesh since 1978. It is only few years back that Christianity came to the state and people could freely practice their faith. Christianity is a growing religion in Arunachal Pradesh now. Amidst the geographical features, myriads of tribes and cultures and dialects of the state, missionary activities are still challenging even today.
The incident goes like this, I was asked to go with two of the Catholic women to a village called ‘Lot’. I was to go and prepare the people for the baptism, confession and house blessing.  After two days the priest would come for the Eucharist and baptism. Since there was no proper road there, it takes almost 10 hours from the parish to reach the village through the jungle. When we stated the weather was fine, warm and pleasant. So we were delighted, carried lots of food to eat and drink on the way. But after seven to eight hours of walk, before reaching the village the weather became so gloomy and cloudy. The village was still far off and we could expect a heavy shower at any time. After half an hour of quick walk, I was exhausted and frightened. Those two ladies were so courageous and tried to keep their composure. But after sometime there came a heavy breeze, rain, thunder and lightning. I was so scared but could not cry in front of those women since I was a nun. We were praying, but when the branches of the trees started to break and fall, I thought we were going to perish. We were completely wrenched in rain and I could not walk further because of my habit. Those two ladies were still praying, calling, “Jesus save us”. We took a short cut thinking that it would take us to our destination faster. Alas! When we reached one point our rat road was cut, the villagers had cut a new road for the vehicles to pass to collect the woods. It was so deep that none of us could imagine jumping down. We lost all hope, I was just a junior and I did not have much experience, I was really frightened. My fear knew no bounds by the thought of snakes which may appear at any time, for we were under a tree. I prayed, “God, do not leave us to die this way.” The rain was not stopping; the water from the road was flowing hard. I said to one of the ladies, “Maria, what shall we do now?” Then she replied in Hindi, “Sister chita mat karna, bhagavan hai”. I nodded, “yes’ with a firm hope, ‘God is there, we are going for His mission, His work, He would save us’.  We stood under the tree for almost an hour, just then we could hear someone clearing his throat. I was all the more frightened, who on earth could be there in this rain and storm. From among the trees there came a man who spoke to the ladies in their dialect. He was a local from that same village but he was not a Christian. He said that he had gone for hunting and was caught in the storm.  I was wondering whether I was seeing St. Joseph or an angel coming to save us. Seeing me shivering, he felt so sorry and he showed so much concern. Immediately he took us to the other way, where we could get down to the road by a ladder, made of big bamboos. We reached the village very late yet happy.

This was a unique experience I had in my life; the memory is so vivid.  I am grateful to God for the miracle I experienced and I remain ever grateful to my brave and God trusting Christian companions. I realise that how strong and firm their simple faith was and I believe that it was through their great faith that we were saved by that man whom I consider as St. Joseph even today. This incident boosts me to help and be ready for service at any time, to have deep faith in the providence of God. 
Shared By Rev. Sr. Teresa  Kamei SABS
DVK Student

No comments:

Post a Comment